June is Cataract Awareness Month and we want to share some facts with you:
- Cataracts are a clouding of the lens of the eye, which prevents passage of light into the eye.
- Cataracts are the leading cause of vision loss/blindness.
- Cataracts effect everyone regardless of age. Heredity, disease, eye injury and smoking could cause cataracts to develop at an earlier age.
- Cataracts related to age can’t be prevented but there are ways to delay the progression of cataracts include avoiding smoking, reducing exposure to UV rays, eating healthy foods, and wearing proper eye protection to avoid eye injury.
- The only treatment for cataracts is surgery. Cataract surgery is one of the safest and most effective surgeries with a success rate of 95 percent.
- Your surgeon will remove your clouded lens and replace it with an intraocular lens (IOL). Only a miniscule incision in the cornea is necessary to do this procedure, and it can be completed in about 15 minutes in an outpatient surgery center.